Government of India Central
Satarkta Bhawan, Block 'A',
GPO Complex, INA,
New Delhi- 110 023
Dated the 17 th May, 2004
Office Order No. 33/5/2004
Subject:- Govt. of India Resolution on Public Interest Disclosures & Protection of Informer
The Government of India has authorised the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) as the 'Designated Agency' to receive written complaints for disclosure on any allegation of corruption or misuse of office and recommend appropriate action.
A copy of the Public Notice issued by the Central Vigilance Commission with respect to the above mentioned Resolution is enclosed. All CVOs are further required to take the following actions with respect to the complaints forwarded by the Commission under this Resolution:
- All the relevant papers/documents with respect to the matter raised in the complaint should be obtained by the CVO and investigation into the complaint should be commenced immediately. The investigation report should be submitted to the Commission within two weeks.
- The CVO is to ensure that no punitive action is taken by any concerned Administrative authority against any person on perceived reasons/ suspicion of being "whistle blower."
- Subsequent to the receipt of Commission's directions to undertake any disciplinary action based on such complaints, the CVO has to follow up and confirm compliance of further action by the DA and keep the Commission informed of delay, if any.
- Contents of this order may be brought to the notice of Secy./ CEO/ CMD.
All CVOs may note the above directions for compliance.
To All Chief Vigilance Officers
GOI Resolution on Public Interest Disclosure and Protection of Informer
- The Government of India has authorized the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) as the 'Designated Agency' to receive witten complaints for disclosure on any allegation of corruption or misuse of office and recommend appropriate action.
- The jurisdiction of the Commission in this regard would be restricted to any employee or the Central Government or of any corporation established by or under any Central Act, government companies, societies or local authorities owned or controlled by the Central Government. Personnel employed by the State Governments and activities of the State Governments or its Corporations etc. will not come under the purview of the Commission.
- In this regard, the Commission, which will accept such complaints, has the responsibility or keeping the identity of the complainant secret. Hence, it is informed to the general public that any complaint, which is to be made under this resolution should comply with the following aspects.
- The complaint should be in a closed / secured envelope.
- The envelope should be addressed to Secretary, Central Vigilance Commission and should be superscribed "Complaint under The Public Interest Disclosure". If the envelope is not superscribed and closed, it will not be possible tor the Commission to protect the complainant under the above resolution and the complaint will be dealt with as per the normal complaint policy of the Commission. The complainant should give his/her name and address in the beginning or end of complaint or in an attached letter.
- Commission will not entertain anonymous/pseudonymous complaints.
- The text of the complaint should be carefully drafted so as not to give any details or clue to his/her identity. However, the details of the complaint should be specific and verifiable.
- In order to protect identity of the person, the Commission will not issue any acknowledgement and the whistle-blowers are advised not to enter into any further correspondence with the Commission in their own interest. The Commission assures that, subject to the facts of the case being verifiable, it will take the necessary action, as provided under the Government of India Resolution mentioned above. If any further clarification is required, the Commission will get in touch with the complainant.
- The 'Commission can also take action against complainants making motivated / vexatious complaints under this Resolution.
- A copy or detailed notification is available on the web-site of the Commission http://www.cvc.nic.in.
Issued in Public Interest by the Central Vigilance Commission, INA, Satarkta Bhawan, New Delhi.
Central Vigilance Commission